Although translation is an art that has existed since ancient times, languages keep changing and translation has to evolve as well. The demands on translation today are different than they were a five hundred years ago.
Historically, translation was often used for academic purposes. Today, academic translation is just one field of translation, and translation for commercial purposes has become very important. It’s necessary to be sensitive to the delicate nuances of language so that you don’t say something absolutely absurd to your audience.
Given the changes in this growing field, it’s interesting to note the following facts about translation today:
1. There are about 330,000 translators in the world. Of course, this is not counting people who translate things informally, whose number is even bigger.
2. 78% of all books between the years 2000 and 2010 were translated into French or German and only 5% into Chinese.
3. According to Gabriel Garcia Marquez, his book, One Hundred Years of Solitude was better in the English translation than in the original Spanish. This may seem like a strange idea because, in general, people believe that books written in the original language are better than their translations. However, it just goes to show that a great translator is an artist who can even improve a book.
4. Translators refer to English for the international market as “World English” and they make sure that it is neither U.K. nor U.S.-biased.
7. Learning a second language can make you smarter. A number of scientists agree that becoming polyglot can boost your brainpower. Other studies also suggest that speaking more than one language can help to slow down the aging process of the mind
8. Languages are constantly influencing each other. For example, the English language is, in itself, 30% French, as it has adopted words through lexical borrowings. This is particularly true when we think about ballet, as almost all of the words that describe that style of dance are in French.
At Carmazzi Global Solutions, we try to keep abreast of changes in the world of translation and to incorporate them into our work.
Contact us if you need translation services and rest assured that you will be very impressed with our translators. You may even find your document reads better in translation!